In addition to the Pet Health Care Library, we have provided the following links to websites that provide some great information on a variety of topics related to veterinary medicine and pet health care. We will update this page frequently, and would love to hear your ideas on links that you would like to see us add to this page to share with other pet owners. Feel free to send us your favorites. If we like them, we will add them to our list!
- Choosing a new puppy This is a nice starter guide of things that you should consider when you are thinking about getting a puppy
- Breeds of Dogs A quick reference guide to many breeds of dogs, including photos and brief descriptions of each breed's characteristics.
- Pet Health Libary Veterinarypartners.com has a great library for researching for information about your pet, their health, and medical conditions they may be diagnosed with. Remember that you still need to talk to your veterinarian to get their recommendations on treatment options based on your pets' health.
- Heartworm Society Everything you ever wanted to know about heartworm disease can be found here!
- National Animal Poison Control Center
This is the website of the National Animal Poison Control Center. It includes a library, links to other sites, and phone numbers for the poison control center.
- Plants Toxic to Animals, Introduction -- Vet Med Library, UIUC
A lot of information about toxic plants can be found here. You can search under common name or scientific name of the plant.
- The Cat Fanciers' Association (CFA)
The Cat Fanciers' Association website has lots of pictures, as well as information on cat breeds, cat care, upcoming cat shows, and much more.
- Veterinary Schools in the US This is a great link to all of the websites of veterinary schools in the United States.
- USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
The USDA maintains this website with information on a variety of animal health related topics, including international travel with pets, the latest news on such things as West Nile Virus, foot and mouth disease, and many other things.
- West Nile Virus
This site is maintained by the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta, and has the latest information on the spread of West Nile Virus in the US, as well as information on disease transmission, symptoms, etc.
- American Veterinary Medical Association
This site is a good starting point to learn more about a variety of topics, including feline injection-site sarcomas and the latest subjects in veterinary medicine
- American Association of Feline Practitioners
The AAFP is like the American Medical Association for cat doctors, and has lots of good information regarding feline health